Sunday, June 18, 2017

Westbound - In Moncton

Sorry - no post yesterday. No Internet on the ferry. SO - I have some catching up to do!

After the Friday post, Kim and I went for a walk around downtown St. John's. What a great city for a walk. It is one of those great walkable cities - like San Francisco - as long as you are on for some hills.

A very pretty old building which is now an art gallery.


A boutique called Twisted Sisters - if Sandra, Janice, or Sheila are following the blog - they will get the reference. I hope they are.


One of the hills that makes me think of San Francisco.


The St.John's War Memorial - a really great war memorial.


The Harbourside Park - which has tons of interesting history. I looked for a link with more detail - but did not find it.


The War Memorial again.


Another St. John's hill - this time with a church in the background!


So while we were walking around - we made a reservation for oysters. With time to kill - we wandered into a place called Seto Kitchen and Bar. Wow- what a find. It did not show up when we did searches for good places to eat - because it is new. But - was it ever good - we had a fantastic mixed seafood appetiter - bits of lobster, crab - and bit shrimp - plus a drink of course. Yummy.


Still wandering around - we found george Street - famous for all its bars - and a little bit of art as well!


So - the Adelaide Oyster House called back to let us know they had a table for us - so off we went. Was it ever good. We loved it - but we think my brother Scott would have not liked it.



Then - a hike up the hill for a good nights sleep, up in the morning to return the rental car and get Kim off to the airport. Poor Kim - Toronto was closed because of thunderstorms- so she had a long trip home.

Meanwhile- just to start at mile 0 / Kilometer 0 - I drove to the east end of the trans Canada Highway - snapped this photo - and headed East. The odometer on the bike read 8012 - at the beginning of the trip it had read 2587- so - at the westbound turn - milage is 5,445 km. Projected total is still in the 25K - 30K range - so we still have a way to go!


Had to go past the Seven Islands Lookout again - so this time I got the picture!


Then - the other place we missed when Kim and  I were down this way - was Castle Hill - very cool - glad I stopped.




So - on to the Ferry for the 16 hour from Argentina to North Sydney



The cabin was just fine - I was worried my claustrophobia might kick in - but no problems.

Back  in North Sydney!


Then - off to Moncton.via a deak down Hw 6. Left North Sydney in the rain -with all my rain gear on.The weather finally cleared completely by New Glasgow - so I stopped and pulled off the rain gear. By then - I was experiencing something that had not happen so far this trip. I was hot. I had all my warm gear on - and the temperature was 26C. Most of the trip has been single digits- let alone over 20. The drive down Hw 6 was great - farms and ocean - cool- something I am not sure I had seen before - very very pretty,

Checked in to the Coastal Inn - which is very nice. Got a Happy Fathers Day call from Kate - thanks Kate. Called my Dad - Happy Fathers Day again DB - if you are reading this!

Then - went for a great dinner at the Catch 22. About a 2km walk each direction - which is good because I have not been getting anywhere near enough exercise and I have been eating and drinking too much!

So-tomorrow - the objective is to get to Rivière-du-Loup. Looking at the map - it is very tempting to take the long coastal loop - but - it is 739 km. Hmmm - maybe modify it a bit - or stop short of  Rivière-du-Loup?

Let me sleep on it! Cheers all.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you got the picture of the Seven Islands. Cabin looks very clausphobic :( and you got a another seafood dinner. Nice !

    ReplyDelete