Thursday, June 29, 2017

Our First Territorial Capital - And Second Northern Point - Yellowknife

Wolk up in Hay River with drizzle coming down. So, put on all the rain gear, and headed the 3-4 km north to see Great Slave Lake from Hay River.


On the road and headed for Enterprise - we wanted to top off with gas at Enterprise - because - we have learned - gas stations on the map might not be there. That turned out to the case at Indian Cabins. Luckily - things were in good shape at Fort Providence - so we got gas there as well.  I would have been in trouble - I might have made Yellowknife - but it would have been close. SO - when we are southbound - gas at Fort Providence,and Enterprise - then a clean shot to High River. Good to know.

On the way to Enterprise - we could see big weather t the SW - but we made the turn and beat it! The way the weather has been this trip - I am giving the hour of drizzle a pass - and calling it a basically rain free day - with a fair amount of sun! I do need to admit that the drizzle and bugs made a horrible mess ofmy glasses and visor.

I realized after sleeping on it - I have been up this road before as a kid. Because I clearly remember Alexander Falls - but no clear memory of Peace River or much else in the middle.

A view of the mouth of the MacKenzie River at Fort Providence. Just north of this - you cross the MacKenzie on the magnificent Deh Cho Bridge built in 2012. Until then - it was a ferry in the summer and an ice bridge in the winter. Wow.


As well as wanting to see the view - the other reason we stopped here is that I had to wash my visor - it was such a buggy mess I could hardly see. So - down to the river to wash it. Worked well - had no cloth to dry - so a bit streaky - but way way better!

This picture will scream boring to a lot of you - BUT - it was not - fire damage, roses, other unrecognized flowering bushes like rose of sharon, tons of other flowers (no fireweed which I remember so well from when I was a kid), ravens, two golden eagles - and just magnificent distance. Long slow valleys - all down around 220 to 160m. I took this picture to show the long slow slope of the land


Took this picture at the Frank Channel Bridge - the northern point on Hw 3 -  the GPS on my phone says we were at 62° 47' 43" N - 115° 58' 37" W. Our Previous northern most point was in Newfoundland at 51.5957° N, 55.5334° W - so 11° further north - BUT - still not across the arctic circle - that will happen on the next leg!


Yikes - has the Starship Enterprise landed? Nope - it is the NWT Legislative Assembly. What a cool building - and so very inviting. We had a great look around.








We checked in to the Quality Inn & Suites - and found out we needed to get a permit for street parking.Hmm - next time I am in Yellowknife I will stay someplace else - a bit of a PIA finding parking! The good news is - the folks at city hall were quick and efficient - and city hall is  a pretty building in a pretty location!




So - back to the hotel, drop everything off, and then off for a bit of a walkabout. We ended up finding a great pub just across the street called the Kilt and Castle - and had a cold one. Meet some real nice folks, and got some fantastic advice to hit Bullock's Bistro for dinner. So good! We both had pan fried whitefish - that I think was still swimming around the lake at breakfast time today! Best meal I have had since the great food in St.John's. Ya gotta eat here!



So - tomorrow - a day of rest - do laundry (Deb - I have washed the Hawaiian shirt that I wear a lot several times - will wash it again tomorrow- so expect it in more pictures - it is my favourite) - and see the sights. Quit frankly, I am looking forward to it! First break since Newfoundland, and I am getting a little bit saddle-sore!

Peace out all - will let you know how our rest day in Yellowknife goes tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment