Sunday, June 4, 2017

The Seat of Confederation!

Sunglasses? I don't need no stinking sunglasses! Rain gear - that I need. But to be fair, it was another day of intermittent sprinkles of rain - not a downpour - so really - you would have to be a real whiner to complain.

Up and and at it fairly early -and off to downtown Fredericton to see the NB Legislature.



Nice! Then - I think I made about 4 wrong turns before I got across the St John River to the north side where I headed east / south on Hw 105. Another one of those fantastic roads which follows a river - very pretty - glad I did this. It looked to me like the water was still very high - and in a few places - you could see flood debris literally washed up on to the shoulder of the road. Yikes!

Yesterday on the St Lawrence, today on the St John river, and then later on PEI, I spent a ton of time within 12 meter of sea level. A bunch of it even less than that. And it is all beautiful. When you read reports like the IPCC, and realize that we are already committed to at least 1  meter of sea level rise - and that good solid science warns of much more - it really comes home.So much amazing country would change hugely even with 1 meter - let alone some of the worst case scenarios.

Anyway - had a great ride on 105 along the river and through the bush - even saw a deer!


Then - back on Hw 2 to get to PEI.  Sometime around then- stopped at a Tim Horton's (Thank You Ian, Thank You Bev - You have bought me lunch most days via the Tim Horton's gift card you gave me as a retirement gift) for coffee and donut and put my rain gear on - since the sprinkles were getting pretty steady. Then - off to the bridge - and WOW- what a bridge.


I admit it - a few times when the wind had me veering around my lane - the knuckles started to turn a bit white. But - mostly it was just a spectacular view - even though the drizzle limited the seeing.Would love to see it on a clear day.

Then - off to Charlottetown - the seat of confederation! The Legislator is under renovation.



And - yes - you guessed it - a very pretty church!



BUT - I bet you did not know - two John Hamilton Grays involved in the Confederation Conference - and they were willing to share their secrets with me!




So - that's it for today! I had a great dinner at Boston Pizza. Yes - I know -  I should have got seafood. But - I wanted a cheap hotel, and I wanted to be able to walk - so I could have a beer. So - Boston Pizza - and the Pizza Burger was fantastic!

Look for more news tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment