Friday, June 9, 2017

Boat Ride Deja Vu; Off to Cow Head via Gros Morne

When I posted about yesterday's ferry trip, I had not yet pulled the photos off of my DSLR. A couple of them are good. So - before we talk about today - a quick flashback to yesterday.

A nice view of North Sydney


 The other ferry headed for North Sydney as we head for Channel-Port Aux Basque


We get to see Newfoundland - and guess what - lots of snow in the mountains!


Very pretty view of the Channel-Port AUx Basque harbour




Today was I think my favourite day of the trip so far. I woke up early - even though Laurance and I set up late drinking Black Horse and watching CFL preseason (Ottawa beat Hamilton!) - so I had reason to sleep in. But -instead - I watched the sun rising over the harbour. The Radio Station B&B  has a fantastic harbour view - very nice.

Then off we went for a great road trip up to Cow Head  via Gros Morne. Remember those snow pictures? Well, much to my happy surprise - the temperatures were in the 20s all day - I was warm all day. These are fantastic touring roads, and it would have been fun to adopt a spirited approach to them. However, I continued with my staid pace - designed to not cause any unwanted attention from the local constabulary.

A nice view down one of the Gros Morne valleys to a lake



 Laurence and I taking turns for the camera



More  mountains and snow


Ahh - so now I know what a Hanging Valley is. The question - is it well hung? I thought it looked pretty good.


A creek - opps - I mean a brook - in Newfoundland - they are brooks - near Rocky Harbour



The trip was great - but the best part was yet to come. We went for great hike on the Shallow Bay Sandy Beach to see the sights - including the sand dunes. I had no idea that there were sand dunes in Newfoundland.

Looking across the bay at the dunes


You cross the dunes on special walkways to preserve what is a delicate ecosystem.  A good place to mug for the camera


More of the dunes

Then - we did another hike out to the old Lighthouse on Cow Head







Last - we stopped at the Cenotaph - which memorializes veterans from several local communities


Then - back to the Shallow Bay Motel - excellent food and a really nice room. I am giving this one 5 stars - great location - really nice place - great food - nice bar.

It is just after 11PM local time and it has been pissing rain for a couple of hours. The forecast looks cold and wet for our trip up to L'Anse aux Meadows tomorrow. Wish us luck and hope for better weather than currently promised!

No comments:

Post a Comment