Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Great Day on the Cabet Trail

Laurence made it to Antigonish yesterday about 9PM. So - we celebrated with a classic Nova Scotia meal - Boston Pizza - Hey - we were hungry - and did not want to drive. Convenience and safety can lead to bad decisions. As it turns out, this  was OK. We enjoyed the meal.

Off we went early for a counter clockwise journey around the Cabot Trail. Fantastic! WoW! Ya gotta do this.There is no way that a few pictures will tell the story. Maybe somebody like Hunter S Thompson - for instance in Song of the Sausage Creature- can catch some of the beauty of this in words. But - I cannot - it is beyond my meager talent.  Just to be clear - unlike Hunter - I am old and careful - not old and darned well crazy- and Laurence is aligned - so we rode safely and there was no point where we had a Barstow Moment.

The first stop was the Glenora Distillery. We just had coffee- I have assured Laurence that we would drink some of the whisky the next time we are at Kim and I's house.





In keeping with my theme of monument, and specifically cenotaphs - had to stop for a picture of the Cenotaph at Belle Cote.


A great view looking south from North of Petit Etang



Another shot near Cabot Trail North of Petit Etang


Looking down at the bay near Pleasant Bay


On the rocks near Ingonish


So, after a great day on the road, walk around town in North Sydney. As far as we are concerned - the advice we got from Heather - our most excellent land lord at the Harbourfront B&B - to hit the Black Spoon Bistro was without question! We wandered around a bit, and found some gears and some rum runners!



We ended up at Dooly's 8 Ball for a beer - and -yes - you guessed it a couple of games of 8 ball! Laurence handed me my ass - damm - out of practice.

Then - back to the room. I have long list of  friends from RBC who kicked in to buy me a bottle of  Glenlivet 21 Year Old. Tonight was the the night to open that. Most excellent.


To sum it up - the roads keep getting better. A couple of times today I literally laughed out loud - I was happy that I had somebody ahead of me giving me an excuse to be safe. In my younger days, I would have been looking to push this a bit harder. Glad that is behind me - I guess.

Easy day tomorrow - sitting on a boat! Look for a report from Newfoundland tomorrow!


2 comments: