Friday, June 2, 2017

Welcome to Quebec City

I had a great visit with Laurence and Lynn is Kingston. Laurence and I discussed trip plans this morning, and I have exciting news from that. We are going to do a few interesting things. We are going to add the trip to Anchor Point, AK back in - so we are going to go as far west as we can. We are going to add a ferry ride down the coast in. Details to be sorted out - but something like Fairbanks down to Prince George. We are going to see if we can get Kim & Lynn  to meet us in Vancouver the week of the Aug 7th long weekend. Laurence needs to be in Milwaukee late in August, so we will reroute to go to Milwaukee. This means that on the westbound leg -we will reroute slightly to include Regina - the current plan says we will hit Regina on the eastbound leg. Since we are going to go to Milwaukee, we think we will drop south of the border in BC / Alberta - and take in the Going-to-the-Sun Road in Glacier National Park. Lots more replanning - stay tuned - I will  update the trip planning spreadsheet once this firms up a bit.

Today's travel was great. I left Kingston and stayed down on the St. Lawrence all morning. Such a pretty ride. No way to share it really - Blue Heron's, Black Birds, Red Tailed Hawks, unidentified birds, flooded marshes, nice turns, pretty farms, great little villages, and a few memorial plaques.  So much to see.

Today's feature is the Crysler's Farm Battle:



I got to Lancaster about noon - and decided to hop on the slab (the 401 /any expressway) and get through Montreal - so up to the 401, Highway 20, Highway 30, and then Highway 40 through Montreal. Yikes - what a nasty drive through Montreal.  Folks here in QC tell me that is one of the worst routes through Montreal. I believe it.  Once clear of Montreal, I decided to stay on Hw 40 to at least Trois-Rivières - since it did not look like a good river road existed.

By the time I got to Trois-Rivières - I was starting to get tired of  riding through off and on rain - and I still wanted to make a few miles. SO - I decided to stay on the slab. Looking at the map - it looks like the route 138 route along the river might have been really nice. Well - we all have to make choices. The upside is I have a few extra hours to enjoy Quebec City tomorrow, and then off to Fredericton.

One last thing. I checked in to a Comfort Inn out in the suburbs. I figured it might be pretty slim pickings for dinner. I walked across the street to the Archibald Microbrasserie and had a fantastic meal - a really nice dish of mussels and a fantastic local IPA (OK, 2 of those - I was walking - the bike was parked) surrounded by your classic room full of stylish Québécois of all ages. Gosh - every time I visit Quebec I love it more - and I regret more the fact that i do not speak French,

Talk to you all tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Great update uncle sandy! I've got your blog bookmarked to stay updated on your trip :) happy riding!

    ReplyDelete