Monday, June 26, 2017

Made it to Edmonton - Alberta Bound No More!

Well, we made it to Alberta
Weathers good here so far
Had two days of sun to dry the clothes, so I'm not wet
But we must be moving on,
So tomorrow, north were bound
Got some mile to do before we're done this trip!

OK - so I am not Ian Tyson - or for that matter - Gordon Lightfoot - but -  I had Four Strong Winds and Alberta Bound on my mind all day - so I had to riff on Four Strong Winds a bit - forgive me.

We had a magnificent day! I love the prairie - it is so amazing. Pictures do not do it justice. Flat,then rolling, then river valleys, then some old machinery, then a broken down house, then a magnificent looking town that is obviously doing well - it has got it all. And you can see for miles. So pretty. You need to come see it. You really do. Those of you who live out here - try to see it with the eyes of someone who has not seen it for awhile - or ever before in Laurence's case - it is fantastic!

Somewhere around Davidson, we stopped for gas,and I stuck on the stickers for Manitoba and Saskatchewan.


We drove past a ton of pretty places on 16 - I wish I had stopped to take picture of a few. Particularly this one place south of Graik, and the other south of Davidson where you have a great view down on to a long narrow lake.I am guessing they are both dams - maybe on the same river - very pretty.


The other cool thing -my Mom and Dad will remember -I always got confused about the name for a Magpie.Well - the only place I have even see them is Alberta - and I saw two of them today - that was cool!


At Innisfree - we stopped for gas. We meet these two guys - who are on bicycles. They meet each other on the road. The guy on the right is from Quebec City - and headed for vancouver. The guy on the left is from Switzerland - and is going around the world -and has been on the road for two years! Wow - it leaves me feeling like a half miler!




So - off to Edmonton - and a few adventures with my half-witted  GPS and Edmonton rush hour traffic - and boom - we saw the legislature. Again -a fantastic building very pretty - and designed to be accessible to the public. I have to confess - I messed up getting us there (I am blaming the Garmin GPS) - we came  in from the south I guess - 16- 216 - Baseline - then  across the 97th Av / 98th Av Bridge - and I missed the left in to the Legislature, so took the next left - and boom - we are on the High Level bridge and  back across the river. Did a loop-de-loop - and came back across the river  on what I think is the old Low Level Bridge on a 105th street - and this time I figured it out. Very pretty, well done people of Alberta.




Then - back out to Fort Saskatchewan - and check into the Best Western..  Grabbed an Ok dinner and a pint in the roadhouse in the same plaza.

Tomorrow morning is a maintenance morning. I have a dealer lined up for the bike, and Laurence has a dealer lined up for the Chev, and we we will get scheduled maintenance addressed.

Tomorrow afternoon -off we go for Slave Lake!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment