Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Up to Peace Country

Sorry - no video - and only one photo today. We started the day with a service break for both Laurence's Chev and my FJR1300. Laurence was very satisfied with South Fort Chev-and I had a great experience at E & S Motorcycles. The bad news was that the Battleax BT023s were done and I needed to get the E & S team to install the new Metzlers. Hey - I got 13K out of them - the new Metzeler Roadtec 01s should still be pretty fresh when we hit the mountains.

My thanks to the E & S team - their service department squeezed me in -and they did a great job. The specific names I got were Steve, Dennis, Dean, and Jared. Thanks a lot team - and thanks to the other team members whose names I did not catch.

Ohh - and Laurence and I got new dealer hats. Which reminds me - the bike trip tradition is that you need a picture of the guys hanging around parking lot at the hotel - or the gas station - eating beef jerky. It is just a bike trip tradition.Look for those hats to make another appearance in that picture!


Before taking the bike in for service - it was a nice sunny day - so I spent too much money at at do-it-yourself car wash place and got the FJR clean So - yes - you guest it - it was raining by the time we left E  & S. Not heavy - but rain.  Our route today was basically Hw 15,  37, 43,  49, and 2.  By the time we got to Gunn - it had stopped - but still looked threatening - so I took off the rain jacket - but left the rest of the gear on.

A hour later - we were headed back into rain. So - jacket back on. But - not heavy rain - so got to enjoy the ride - very very pretty. Key things:

  • Somewhere around Whitecourt - you start to see large hills. We have been cruising along just over 500 m above sea level since Saskatoon. The next thing you know you are in hills up to 940 m.  Wow - so pretty.
  • Yup- on the slab all day - so no opportunity to tell if the new Roadtecs handle well - BUT - they tour well - including in the rain
  • I think we were still on 37 - before Gunn - one of those classic Alberta Valleys - a big tressell that seemed to go for kilometers to smooth out the valley for the big freight trains, a small  river, and just pretty pretty country
  • I think it was the Smoky River - just before Valleyview - what a great view- so pretty - I wish there had been a safe place to stop at the top of the hill going down to the river -it would be a classic photo!
  • So - after Valleyview - you are on the High Prairie-up at around 580 - 620 m - with drops own into valleys  - but mostly flat and up high - so cool - I had never been in this country before (unless Mom & Dad say  I was when I was a disinterested kid in the back seat).
I am sure Laurence is already getting a good kick out of me and my gadgets. BUT - next trip - I wonder - a helmet-cam?

So - on up 49 we go. The rain was steady but not too bad until about 40 km out of Peace River - and then the sky opened up and it came booming down. So - I  had to watch out for 5 cm deep water in the wheel ruts.

No drama - safely into the Sawridge Inn & Conference Centre - nice dinner - nice room- and then off to Enterprise tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment