Monday, June 5, 2017

PEI North & East; The Nova Scotia East Cost

When you pack for a motorcycle trip,  you need to be frugal with what you bring. I chose to pack a Hawaiian Shirt -which I wear a lot around town - every Friday. I skipped bringing my thermal underwear. While spending the entire morning this morning riding in 7° C - I came to the sad conclusion that I got that one wrong. What I thought was funny - this afternoon - when it warmed up to 13° C - I thought that was pretty nice - I guess it is all relative - yesterday - I thought 13° C was a little bit cold. Thank heavens for heated hand grips!


This morning was all about the north shore and the east end. Straight up Brackley Road for a look at Shaw's Beach on the Gulf Shore Parkway - and the dunes. Had to stick my boot in the water for a photo - and of course that was the moment a wave chose to break a bit high and gave me a damp boot for the rest of the day.Just what you need on a cold day. Grrr!





The dunes were fantastic.I am a bit chagrined to realize I did not take a photo of the dunes - just of the ocean. But- trust me very pretty. The entire coast was very nice - including Saint Peter's Bay




I went east all the way to the East Point Lighthouse - very pretty. Plus - pretty good coffee - and it was nice and warm in the cafe while I drank it and warmed up.


Then, back along the south coast to Wood Islands - to take the ferry across to Caribou.








Good ferry ride - all the route decisions today were good. But - they were about to go from good to great. Looking at the map - I had decided that the best way to Dartmouth was Hw 347 and Hw 7.  So that is what I did. Wow - what a great choice. Just a great bike road - lots of fantastic views, tons of curves, elevation changes, and the occasional road snake :-). Since I was riding by myself, I kept it down to a touring pace - but it would have been a lot of fun to pick it up the brisker pace that I used to ride at with two different groups (with some overlap) of friends. 




BTW - one of the things I wanted to do as part of #Canada150 - was to honour our history.What better way than to stop at a Cenotaph near Oyster Bay?



Just to top it off - after I check into the hotel - I walked over to Sam's Seafood and Grill - and had the most amazing fish and chips  - fresh haddock and fresh cut fries - wow - so good.


So - tomorrow - back up the coast and tour around on Cape Breton -might be even better than today - but any bikers out there following this blog - ya gotta put the 347 and 7 loop on your list.

3 comments:

  1. Alex, I really appreciate the links you add. You are so good at this. Also glad you went local for dinner, not Boston Pizza. LOL. Tony G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey bro, great pictures and enjoying your comments. I'm just ticked off I'm not getting notifications especially since you signed me up haha. I keep looking and will see if I can figure it out. Von is getting notifications but he signed up on his iPad so that may make a difference. I will give it another try. Stay safe and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great update uncle sandy - stay warm and dry!

    ReplyDelete