Wednesday, August 16, 2017

More Prairie Days - Grasslands Park, Qu'Appelle Valley, Rider Mountain Park

Two more great days on the prairies. The hotel I stayed at last night (Tuesday) was cheap - and barely acceptable - they had good Indian Food - but no internet, so no post yesterday.

Yesterday (Tuesday) sort of reminds me of the time in the fall of 1999 I went to visit my buddy Gord Bell (RIP Gord) in Boston. Since my sister Cher lives in Jacksonville - and Jacksonville and Boston are both on the Atlantic Ocean - I stopped to visit Cher and Vaughan on my way to Boston!

That is what happened Tuesday - I wanted to see the Qu'Appelle Valley and I wanted to see Grasslands National Park - they are both in Saskatchewan - so screw the straight line - south to Grasslands I went - and then back to Indian Head - ready to see the Qu'Appelle Valley tomorrow!

More fantastic backroads all the way to Grasslands. Then - about 40k of gravel for a quick tour of the west Block of the park. It was fantastic. There were a ton of things I did not see in the west block - and I did not even try to see the east block - which apparently has more hoodoos. This place calls for another visit - in a car. I would be tempted to say that shorts would be the correct dress - but warnings of rattlesnakes and cactus make me think that boot and jeans are the way to go. Still - better garb to hike than biker gear! Bring lots of water and plan to spend at least a full day - I think two - one for each of the west block and the east block.

Then - back on to the backroads over to highway 2, and then Highway 1 - so the slab to Indian Head.

So - I published a schedule and shared with family that said I was targeting Ottawa on the 20th of August. Well, I published that Tuesday morning - and at EOD Tuesday - I am about 1/2 a day behind schedule! I love it. **** schedules!

Anyway - the drive down Hw 4 was really pretty


An interesting monument about the Fort Qu'Appelle trail on Hw 4


In to Grasslands National Park. Wow - the pictures only tell part of the story. Ya gotta come see this. I would really like to come back. And - bring the telescope - this is supposed to be some of the darkest clearest sky in Canada. Hmmm - the smoke from the B.C. fires sure is wrecking the clear sky this summer! But - what a place - check out what I did get in the way of photos.




The prairie dogs reminded me of Office Workers:


A bison rub glacial erratic:







Shit - this corner was not clear on the map. Here I am - about 20 km down a gravel road - and need to figure out - turn left or turn right. I stopped and checked carefully. I got it right. Why, you ask, am I 20 km down a gravel road after the crappy experience on Vancouver Island's North end? Well - maybe I am a slow learner. BUT - I got away with it - and am glad I had a quick peak at Grasslands!



More backroads out of Grassland - and then the slab to Indian Head. Check out this old wreck of a Studebaker truck in the part of the hotel's parking lot that is basically a junk yard. Cool, but also - yikes!

This morning (Wednesday) - up and at it bright and early and off to the Qu'Appelle Valley, Rider Mountain National Park, and then down to Brandon. Some great views of the Qu'Appelle Valley.


Short Video with a view of Fort Qu'Appelle across the lake






Hey - I am way overdue for a church - and this one was very pretty!




Then - on to  Riders Mountain. I came across this great view of Lake of the Prairies as I drove along Hw 10.


So - let's be frank. I was a bit disappointed with Riding Mountain National Park. Ok - you go along at about 350 meters - and see a long ridge covered with boreal forest - and climb up to about 700 meters. As you approach from the north - one good view of the ridge for a couple of km - I guess that was the money shot - and I missed it - I thought I would get some better views.

To avoid getting skunked - a shot of ClearLake as you leave the park southbound.



Do not get me wrong - lots of pretty country in Manitoba - rolling hills - interesting combinations of farmed land right next to forest - and mostly good roads (it's Canada - and it is construction season). I enjoyed today BUT - yesterday and the day before were really Wow- and today was just OK.

I checked in to the Victoria Inn Hotel & Convention Centre here in Brandon. This was a good call, nice room, good wifi, nice restaurant, friendly helpful staff - and I got a fairly good rate. I needed a nice place after last night's - I wanted to make sure I could get the blog updated. If you're coming to Brandon - this looks like a good call to me!

Tomorrow - Hmmm - Tomorrow. I managed to get back on schedule today, and I said I would try to make it to Fort Francis tomorrow. So - that is what I will do - BUT - I am going to take some of the backroads between here and Sprague, short hop through the USA, then of to Fort Francis.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment